Thursday, July 5, 2007

Sowing the Seed

Hello, world! I'm your ever so dedicated urban garden hoe, Elizabeth. Welcome to my brand new gardening blog!

Who am I? Oh, such a deep question! We'll just dip our toes in the pool for now. I'm 27 years old and newly married. I live in Oklahoma City where I work in academia all week and play geeky games with my friends all weekend.... when I'm not cooing over my container garden. I'm over-educated, over-liberated, over-stressed, and slightly over-fed.

What sort of gardening do I do? Though I do have a decent amount of yard and a flower bed, containers are far more convenient for me at the moment. My primary interest is edibles. I have a vegetable garden on the patio and scattered pots of herbs in the house. I still enjoy flowers and such, but you'll run across less of that on this blog.

Why create a blog about urban gardening? Aside from the fact that I'm looking for people who won't get sick of hearing me obsess about my cherry tomatoes, urban gardening is a growing trend that I want to support! Taking even just a few minutes to tend your plants each day can provide a little relief from the stress of our latte-grande-fueled lives. It's also a way to bring us out of the pesticide-infested produce section of the local Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market. Take that $5 you were going to spend on a few bland chemically grown tomatoes and buy a container, seed packet, and bag of potting soil. Dedicate a little time to it and wallah! You'll be fully stocked with the best tomatoes you've ever eaten! Forget the 100 Mile Diet, we're reaping the benefits of the 100 foot diet! I want this blog to be a meeting place for fellow urban gardeners and inspiration for the curious, because this is a lifestyle more than worth sharing.

No comments: