Tuesday, January 29, 2008

In Over My Head with the Strawberries?

Terribly excited about my six eight teensy little Alexandria strawberry seedlings, I got to thinking about how nice it would be to also have a couple June-bearing strawberry plants. They're more likely to be plentiful the first season, after all. I also wanted to make the one dollar investment of buying a packet of radish seeds (white icicles!) to help protect our cucumbers from evil, evil cucumber bugs. So, off to Home Depot I went.

And I came back home with sixteen baby strawberry plants!

OK, in my defense, it's terribly difficult to buy strawberry starter plants in smaller than 10-packs. And, damn it, their fuzzy little leaves were peaking out of the top of their box, what could I do, I ask you??? Leave them there? No! I had to give those babies a good home!

So now I have a cut-away cardboard box containing a motley collection of small "recycled" pots with tiny strawberry plants in the backroom.

  • 11 of them will go into the strawberry pot once we rig up a "deep watering" system, because water poured into the top of my strawberry pot loves to just gush right out of the side holes.
  • 2 of them are already snug in their pot, hanging in front of a window.
  • 2 of them will probably be repotted into pretty pots for the front porch.
  • 1 might end up in the sunny corner of our front flower bed.
The best part about this, honestly, is that I won't be completely broken hearted if the strawberries-from-seed don't produce (or even survive!). But what I want is pots overflowing with strawberries all around our house! Strawberries, strawberries, strawberries!

It's become an obsession....

No comments: