Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ripe Cherry Tomatoes!

Behold!  My first ripe tomatoes of 2008!  P4150065

They're on one of my Red Robin plants, which are tiny enough to keep in hanging planters.

P4150081 P4150072

The other doesn't have any fruit at all yet, but it is finally covered in tiny little flowers!

P4150073 

Seriously, these plants are amazing.  They aren't the prettiest tomato plant I've ever seen, with their curly leaves and tendency to slump right over, but they're producing blossoms and fruit despite getting no direct sun at all.  They spent the winter months getting a little through a south window and have been hanging in total shade on my north-facing porch ever since.  Pretty impressive, huh?

Oh, I also found two adorable small-leaved basils to pair with them in their pots.  They're bushy, so they probably won't get too horribly ugly and leggy being in the shade.  I <3 these little basils!

P4150074

2 comments:

Nate said...

Hey Elizabeth,

I wasn't sure the best way to get in touch with you, so I thought maybe leaving a comment on your blog would be quickest.

I'm writing a story on urban gardening for the Oklahoma Gazette, and your blog is by far the most helpful one I've found on the subject. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to do an interview with me for the story - wouldn't take too long and we could do it anytime that is good for you.

If this is something you'd like to be a part of please let me know - e-mail me at nathan.gunter[at]gmail[dot]com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Elizabeth said...

Nate, that sounds great! I'll email you ASAP.