Monday, June 9, 2008

Thinking of Fall...

Especially if you're going to order any fancy garlic, it's a good idea to start thinking about your fall gardening now.

Today, I'm ordering two cloves of Chesnok Red Garlic and DeCicco Broccoli.   The garlic, which I'm going to pair with a generic supermarket (softneck) variety as an experiment, won't be harvested until Spring.  But the broccoli will be a part of our fall harvest....  And maybe the winter, if we're lucky.  I've never grown broccoli, but I chose Decicco because it's supposed to have a good number of off-shoot broccolis after the large head is harvested.

I was also extremely tempted by German Extra Hardy Garlic, Russian Giant Garlic, Rainbow Swiss Chard, Dragon Carrots, Brussels Sprouts, and leeks... But I have to keep in mind that I have a limited amount of space and plenty of other stuff I already plan on growing.

Meanwhile, today is a nice, mild, overcast day.  It rained all morning, so the kitty and I slept in quite nicely.  And I'm developing clever ideas about creating my own bagged and frozen convenience stir fry for nights when I don't feel like doing much cooking, so I think it's time to make a trip to the store and browse the produce section for good, freezable veggies.

2 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

I might put in some garlic this fall too. But I think I'm going to be very lazy and just go with supermarket garlic.

Elizabeth said...

Daphne, I'm going to try growing supermarket garlic. It's supposed to work as long as you don't live too far north.